Saint-Jude presbytery, which dates from 1930, was a convent in the 1960s and was transformed into an art centre. The place of worship’s retransformation had to meet the challenge of moving towards a near avant-garde, functional evolution while preserving the soul of the space. The original woodworks have been kept, and the choice of a dominant white neutralizes the numerous ornaments and opens up the space. Its immaculate exposition room enhances the works of art. The integration of square images reinforces the feeling of the space’s cultural commitment, without ignoring the architectural elements that were magnified by purifying the space. The space reveals itself as a permanent architectural work of art that welcomes temporary exhibitions.
Including an art school, 12 artist studios, a multifunctional room and 3 outdoor public spaces, nothing was left to chance: from new windows to light management. A path punctuated by a sinuous series of perforations, where the sluices created by reflective mirror edges highlight the visitor’s dazzling views. The perfect representation of a modern insert within a heritage building that truly makes sense.